< Back to Blog

What do you need to do if you’re separating from your partner?

If you’re separating from your partner, one of the most powerful things you can do is met with a solicitor to put a plan in place for the future.

Separating from your partner can be a very emotional time.  And as if the impact of the split wasn’t enough, there’s also the division of finances and assets, custody of children, superannuation and wills to think about.

Principal Partner at Cam Schroder Lawyers Yeppoon Leonie Davey says working through these issues can be a long, drawn-out process but it doesn’t have to be.

“You can have control, we can definitely help you with that.”

“Every separation situation is different, it’s unique and there’s no one size fits all.

“We will work with you to help minimise asset and property loss and the emotional stress.  We get how hard it is and we want to work with you to get you the best outcome in a bad situation.”

One of the solutions you might consider is a Binding Financial Agreement.

Binding Financial Agreements

Binding Financial Agreements can reduce the tension in a relationship breakdown.  They give you the change to get your life back on track faster. Separated parties can settle their finances and assets for around $4,000.  Those costs include drawing up the Binding Financial agreement $3,500.00.  The other party in the separation then get the agreement signed off and endorsed by their solicitor, this generally costs around $500. Contrast this with a Court Consent Order than can cost upwards of $6,000 plus for one party only.  And take a minimum of six weeks to process.  The orders are subject to the discretion of the Registrar which may be refused. So what do you need to do if you’re separating from your partner?  Here’s a quick summary of a few of the most important legal things to do:

7 Legal Things to review if you’re separating or divorcing

  1. Will and Power of Attorney
  2. Advance Health Care Directive
  3. Pre Nuptial agreements
  4. Binding Financial Agreements
  5. Custody of children
  6. Assets and Finances
  7. Superannuation

“At Cam Schroder Lawyers Yeppoon, we want to help you get your life back on track.  Whether it’s a Binding Financial Agreements, court orders, separating finances, amending your Wills and Power of Attorney or any other issue to do with your separation, we can help.  Call us and come in for an initial consultation,” Leonie Davey says.

If you are separating from your partner and need advice, call for one of our Principal Partners, Leonie Davey or Cam Schroder Lawyers Yeppoon for an appointment on 4925 0225.

Have a question for us?

Call us on (07) 4925 0229 or submit an enquiry below

Call (07) 4925 0229